Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Painters

It's like they're still walking these floorboards, creeping up behind me, their stories flickering back to life, hitting me hard. It's like it was yesterday, me in baby blue standing under dusty lights in a freezing room, everything the color of navy, ice, and lace. I still see her paint-splattered sweatshirt and her tangled mahogany hair, standing on the porch, and letting her smoky breath curl out and turn to feathers on that freezing night.
Life inside is warm and freezing all at once, because you can see your breath, but still feel that heat of the lamp hovering over your head. Tubs of white paint perfuming the air, making me dizzy the slightest bit. Frozen fingers, lightened souls, all huddled under that same flickering pool of light, measuring out fate, and then cutting it for use.

4 comments:

  1. This is one of the best ones you've ever written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this was amazing. The woman, the painter, I assume, she was so vividly painted out in your description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING! I love this so much!! Your an amazing writer! Do you write by any chance? Stories and such?
    If you do, post them please!
    If you don't, you should!

    ReplyDelete